So you’ve decided that you’d like to become vegan, but where do you start? Switching to a vegan diet is a big change and can be overwhelming if you try to do everything at once. It’s important to go at your own pace and to decide on a method that works best for you. Here are some steps that can get you on the pathway to success!
1) Research and educate yourself on veganism. There are a lot of great YouTube channels, blogs, books and apps dedicated to helping you find new vegan information. This will really help you feel prepared and knowledgeable as you begin changing your lifestyle.
2) Decide on your reason – Take some time to write down why you want to become a vegan. There will be days when you want to quit and give up so it’s important to remember why you wanted to be vegan in the first place.
3) Gradually add vegan foods to your diet before subtracting from it. For example, more nuts, seeds, tofu, whole grains and vegetables can be added. See which foods you enjoy most and eat more of these.
4) Remove any animal products, whether meat, fish, dairy or eggs that you won’t miss from your diet. This period allows you to enjoy veganism without the pressure of having to avoid the foods you eat in your normal diet.
5) Find vegan recipes you like and cook different recipes every week.
6) Swap dairy milk and butter for non-dairy alternatives such as coconut, almond, cashew or soy milk.
7) Gradually cut down the rest of the animal products, from least favourite to most favourite. When you are comfortable with all of the changes in your diet, remove favourite animal-based foods one at a time and insert plant-based alternatives.
8) Slowly begin to replace things like makeup, shampoo, and household products that test on animals.
9) Connect with other vegans who can inspire, help, and just chat about what it’s like being vegan.
10) Keep a positive attitude. Think of all the new and delicious food there are to try plus the amazing health benefits rather than thinking about the foods you’re giving up.